Medical professionals and emergency services are being urged to monitor the spread of the ECM virus in Australia after the first confirmed cases of the coronavirus in the country were reported on Friday.
Key points:Health officials say the virus is “highly active” in the body, so early detection is criticalThe government has offered to pay for treatment and emergency support to those who need itThe outbreak has been spreading rapidly in NSW, with coronaviruses affecting more than 600 people across the stateThe first confirmed case of coronavirocholirus (COVID-19) was reported in a Sydney suburb on Friday afternoon, prompting a government-run health alert.
Emergency services and health officials say they are treating coronaviral cases at the highest level possible, with around 90 confirmed cases so far, of which around 30 have been confirmed in NSW.
In a statement, the NSW Health Department said coronaviolirus is “very active” and it is a matter of “urgent monitoring” and early detection.
“It is vital that we monitor the health of all our residents at the earliest opportunity, so that our community can get the best possible care and treatment,” it said.
“We are also asking that everyone who has any questions, concerns, or concerns, to call our helpline at 1800-749-5333 or email [email protected]”
This is the first coronavirecholase in Australia and it has not yet affected the community.
The department said there was “strong” evidence of a large outbreak in the area.
“People in this community should immediately contact their health care provider if they suspect they are in the same situation, as coronavoid-related coronavillosis is a very serious condition and may cause serious illness and death,” it added.
“Health authorities are working to identify and address the remaining cases.”
The state is not expecting any more cases in the immediate future, but said it was concerned about the spread.
“At this stage, we are not expecting further spread of coronacovirus into NSW,” the department said.
The state Health Minister, Andrew Constance, has urged people to remain vigilant.
“The first coronacost of this kind was in NSW in 2013,” he said.”[This is] the first case of COVID-20 in NSW and we’re very concerned about this spread.”
The Health Department advised people to contact their local health care providers if they suspected they were infected and to report any new cases.
The number of confirmed cases in NSW has risen from 710 in January to 1,865 on Thursday, according to the state health department.
“These figures do not mean that we have stopped the spread, but we have a strong presence and we are working closely with our partners to help ensure the safety of our community,” Mr Constance said.ABC/ReutersTopics:covid-19,health,sunday-times,australia,nsw,sydney-2000First posted May 11, 2020 14:29:55Contact Anna C. SmithMore stories from Australia